Monday, April 13, 2015

Journal 11: Rejuvenating my inner artist

I never really thought of it as a form of rejuvenation but I guess it is. I think for me, going to see show is a rejuvenating experience. I don’t just mean going to see any theatre performance, though I usually find some enjoyment in most of the theatrical experiences I attend. I am referring to going to see a professional production like a touring Broadway show. It’s been quite a while since I saw  a show, for numer reasons. For one thing, the past year and a half has kind of been a whirl wind and I haven't had a lot of extra time, and secondly it’s expensive. But when I do get to see show, especially one that I’m really excited about, it’s always such a spirit igniting experience for me. From walking into the theatre, to finding our seats, to listening to the orchestra warm up, and all the way through the show, I love every minute of it. The anticipation, the energy, the smell of the theatre, looking at the curtain at the beginning of the show imagining what’s going on behind it. It always gives me this feeling of, “Oh man I want to be up there on stage. I love this world. This is what I’m meant to be doing.” And it always kind of makes me excited about my career and all the possibilites for the future. I definitely would like to get to see more shows, as time and money permits. As an artist, I find that there are many hobby like arts that really just get me feeling excited and feeling like taking action. I really enjoy sewing/designing costumes/outfits for myself and I really enjoy cooking and baking. While these aren’t theatre related, they involve creation and artistic expression and skill and I find that these activities in particular help open my mind to possibilities and choices and new ideas. This feeling of possibility and finding joy definitely carries over into my theatre work and gives me a sense of optimism and control. I think a lot of hobbies ilike this are very similar to theatre in the sense that you're working towards goal that can be unique as you want it to be, and there’s an end product that you can enjoy and/or use as marker of self improvement or areas that need to be improved upon. Something I do occasionally to check in with my inner artist is to go back and watch/listen to old material and watch old videos/listen to old recordings of myself. Especially when I am feeling an artistic block or feeling like I'm not improving it really helps to go back and see how much I’ve grown. Then I can tell myself, “Hey look how far you’ve come. You never could have imagined where you’d be now. Just imagine if you keep working hard how much you can improve in five more years!” And then I can get re-excited about my future and about areas that I can improve on. It’s always helpful to have little breakthroughs and self discoveries. Sometimes I’ll be having a really difficult time with an acting or singing technique, especially one that i’ve had trouble with in the past. Figuring it out and understanding what you’ve been doing wrong is a really exciting feeling and helps promote self confidence and positivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment